How to Start a Business Online
How to Start a Business Online
7 tried and true steps for attracting visitors to your site--and getting them to buy.
- Find a need and fill it.
- Write copy that sells.
- Design and build an easy-to-use website.
- Use search engines to drive traffic to your site.
- Establish an expert reputation for yourself.
- Follow up with your customers and subscribers with e-mail.
- Increase your income through back-end sales and upselling.
Anyone, from newbie to seasoned online entrepreneur, can benefit from this process in learning how to start a business online.
Your trade mark
Do not forget to register your names and trade marks! This is important investment for the future och your company. At the same time you will be able to check if you are not trying to use already registered, copy right protected names. This apply to all businesses, not only online business.
- TMview - International Trade Mark Information
- Romarin - International Trade Mark System
- Swedish Trade Mark Search and Registration
Step 1: Find a need and fill it
- Visit online forums to see what questions people ask and what problems they're trying to solve.
- Do keyword research to find keywords that a lot of people are searching, but for which not many sites are competing.
- Check out your potential competitors by visiting their sites and taking note of what they're doing to fill the demand. Then you can use what you've learned and create a product for a market that already exists--and do it better than the competition.
NOTE: Low prices, low margins, low level of service is NOT a way to the future and long term success!
E-commerce market is now becoming marure. The ONLY way to survive and achive success online is to develop and offer digital products.
Step 2: Write copy that sells
- Arouse interest with a compelling headline.
- Describe the problem your product solves.
- Establish your credibility as a solver of this problem.
- Add testimonials from people who have used your product.
- Talk about the product and how it benefits the user.
- Make an offer.
- Make a strong guarantee.
- Create urgency.
- Ask for the sale.
Step 3: Design and build your web site
- Choose one or two plain fonts on a white background.
- Make your navigation clear and simple, and the same on every page.
- Only use graphics, audio or video if they enhance your message.
- Include an opt-in offer so you can collect e-mail addresses.
- Make it easy to buy--no more than two clicks between potential customer and checkout.
- Your website is your online storefront, so make it customer-friendly.
- Use search engines to drive targeted buyers to your site
- Pay-per-click advertising is the easiest way to get traffic to a brand-new site. It has two advantages over waiting for the traffic to come to you organically. First, PPC ads show up on the search pages immediately, and second, PPC ads allow you to test different keywords, as well as headlines, prices and selling approaches. Not only do you get immediate traffic, but you can also use PPC ads to discover your best, highest-converting keywords. Then you can distribute the keywords throughout your site in your copy and code, which will help your rankings in the organic search results.
NOTE: When setiing up new web site or e-commerce saite make sure it's works well on mobile devices like smart phones and tablet PCs. Those devices are becoming very fast the main device to surf the web and use internet based services. This is the future, and this future is already here.
Do it your sletf or get help ?
As long you are not a multi talented person, expert on both graphic design, programming and marketting and can work 24/7 with your company we strongly recommend to to get professional help. And it does not have to cost you much, don't be affraid to ask quotes from us. Do what you are good at and let other do what they are good at.
You will avoid a lot of mistakes and it will save your valuable time you should use on customer relations, selling and making money!
Step 5: Establish an expert reputation for yourself
Give away free, expert content. Create articles, videos or any other content that people will find useful.
Distribute that content through online article directories or social media sites.
- Include "send to a friend" links on valuable content on your website.
- Become an active expert in industry forums and social networking sites where your target market hangs out.
- You'll reach new readers. But even better, every site that posts your content will link back to yours. Search engines love links from relevant sites and will reward you in the rankings.
Step 6: Use the power of e-mail marketing to turn visitors into buyers.
- You're giving them something they've asked for.
- You're developing lifetime relationships with them.
- The response is 100 percent measurable.
- E-mail marketing is cheaper and more effective than print, TV or radio because it's highly targeted.
- Anyone who visits your site and opts in to your list is a very hot lead. And there's no better tool than e-mail for following up with those leads.
Step 7: Increase your income through back-end sales and upselling
- Offer products that complement their original purchase.
- Send out electronic loyalty coupons they can redeem on their next visit.
- Offer related products on your "Thank You" page after they purchase.
- Reward your customers for their loyalty and they'll become even more loyal.